It is really very simple to embed a YouTube video in PowerPoint version 2016. Before we jump in complete tutorial. We need to understand power of PowerPoint presentations.
How PowerPoint presentation can be visually strong and more engaging to you audience.
First impression is always last impression. So it does not matter whether you are generating leads by presenting PowerPoint slides to your potential clients or you have monthly analytics reports to your management.
You just cannot present an ugly ppt slides to your audience. It does not have to be flashy. But by adding sounds, simple animation, videos and use of descent colors can be very impressive way of presentation.
Always create your own PowerPoint presentations and ignore default template provided in the package because all of them are boring. See below image for default PowerPoint templates.
Many people do not know how to embed a youtube video in Powerpoint or add it to their PowerPoint presentation. Embedding a Youtube video in Powerpoint can be a very powerful and creative addition to your presentation It can add a meaningful explanation or simply provide extra insight on the chosen topic or theme.
It is used by many to give a better, more meaningful explanation on the presented topic and also to provide additional information which would not have been added to the presentation.
For those who are not familiar with PowerPoint, which I assume is a very small group of people, is a desktop application created by Microsoft which allows one to create slider based presentations that are used to organize and present the data and information in a pre-determined order.
As one would expect, this is mainly used for presentations and situations where one would need their information organized and presentable. Many students and teachers alike use it for educational purposes as well. This can be powerful and provide a sense of creativity and aid in effective teaching and progressive studying.
Many university-level teachers and lecturers often use PowerPoint as a means of communication and teaching with students. This has proven to be a very effective method of communication and teaching as well.
As for YouTube, I for one cannot imagine a person who has not seen or at least heard of the platform. But, if this rare breed of human does exist, YouTube is the most popular video sharing website in the entire world. Thousands of videos are uploaded to the website hourly providing a seemingly endless supply of video content for one to indulge in.
These range from funny videos, educational videos and the occasional cat video. On YouTube, a video can be found on almost any topic you can imagine. From news to series to even political videos. You name it and it is bound to be on youtube. As such many people including students and teachers use YouTube for educational purposes.
Whether it is a teacher providing their students with extra information on a particular subject or a student looking to get a more in-depth explanation on particular subject. This has made it an invaluable asset to both students and teachers alike just like PowerPoint.
With the above information, one could see the huge benefit and advantage embedding a youtube video in Powerpoint would be. Combining these two powerful tools could create a really good study guide or a rocking presentation that you plan to unleash at your next company meeting.
Embedding a youtube video in Powerpoint thus becomes a skill which every professional person should have regardless of the field they are in. Teachers and people who regularly present information and data would especially need to know this as it becomes something they would use on a daily basis.
The possibilities are literally endless because of the sheer amount of content available on YouTube. With this in mind, let us begin the deceptively simple method of how to embed a YouTube video in PowerPoint.
The first resource one would expect to go to is the official website for Office and PowerPoint, Microsoft. Unsurprisingly, they do have a simple guide on accomplishing this.
The tutorial is split up into 2 sections, one section detailing the steps if you know the name of the video you want to embed in PowerPoint and one if you do not know the name of the video you want to embed in PowerPoint. We will be covering them in order.
If you know the name of the video you want to embed in PowerPoint:
- The first step is to fire up PowerPoint.
- Then, click on the slide where you intend to add the video. For example, if you would like to embed the YouTube video on the third slide, select that slide.
- In the top header row, you will see a tab called “INSERT”. Click on this tab
- Inside this tab, you will find a button that says video. Click on that
- Once you click on this button, it will give you the option to either embed an online video or a local video that is stored on your PC. We want to select the online video option as all YouTube videos are hosted online.
- Once selected, a text box will appear asking you for the name of the video you wish to insert. Enter the name of the YouTube video you want to insert. Ensure the name of the video is exactly the same as it appears on the YouTube website. Alternatively, you could simply copy and paste the name of the video from YouTube into the textbox.
- As the name is placed in the search box, a bunch of results will appear depending on the information entered. From the list of results, select the video you wish to embed into the slide. You should select the video you saw on YouTube of course although if needed you could choose a different one. That is totally up to you.
- Once you select the video you want to place, you will notice a rectangular video box placed on your slide. This box is flexible and you may move it around and resize it to your heart’s content. The video will display and you can test it once you click the video and preview. This also ensures the video works and displays properly. The video controls should also show up while presenting and you may start and stop it as normal.
One thing to note is that if the video does not get added correctly, one should ensure that their version of PowerPoint is up to date and is the latest available version. Also, your version of PowerPoint should either be PowerPoint 2013 or PowerPoint 2016. You should also not use a browser older than Internet Explorer 9. Everything from Internet Explorer 10 and up is supported and highly recommended.
That was for people who know the name of the YouTube video they want to add to their PowerPoint presentation, but what would you do if you did not know the name of the YouTube video you wanted to embed into your PowerPoint presentation? Fear not! We have a tutorial for that as well.
The process is fairly similar to the instructions mentioned above with slight differences here and there.
It is as follows:
- Once again, ensure you have Microsoft PowerPoint opened and running with your presentation in it
- Select the slide that you want the YouTube video to be on. This can be any slide in your presentation.
- Go onto YouTube and locate the video you wish to embed into your PowerPoint presentation.
- If you look at the video, there will be a share tab which you can click on. Click on it!
- Once you click on the share button it will give you the option to either email the video or embed it. We want to embed the video into our PowerPoint presentation so we would click embed.
- Once the embed button is clicked, a small text box will appear which contains some weird looking code. Worry not as this is not important. A few options will also be presented to you such as the size of the video and other settings. If you are not familiar with any of these, leaves them and continue with the next step as these do not affect the video in a considerable way.
For those interested, the code snippet found in this box is an HTML iframe tag which can be used to embed the video on web pages and CMS. This gives you an easy and simple way to include videos in your custom built websites or even websites on platforms like WordPress and Drupal. The iframe could be manipulated like a regular div tag which could give you a bunch of ways to include and showcase the video.
- Copy all of the code shown in the box to your clipboard or notepad for safe keeping.
- Open up PowerPoint now, and click on the “INSERT” tab at the top.
- Under insert click on Online Video.
- Once you click the Online Video button. You will be presented with two options, search YouTube or paste embed code. We want to click the box which says “paste embed code here”
- Once we click it, we may paste the code from the YouTube video inside.
- Once the code is embedded and completed, you will notice a video rectangle on the slide. This video box is completely customizable and can be moved and resized to your fitting. Be sure to preview and check that the video does work.
As with the other instructions, ensure that you have the latest version of PowerPoint and either PowerPoint 2013 or PowerPoint 2016 for this to work.
If you’ve followed these steps, your video should be up and ready to go in your presentation. But what if you are using the online version of PowerPoint? Once again, I have got you covered so you don’t have to worry. The steps are very similar to those needed to embed a YouTube video on PowerPoint if you do not know the name of the video you want to add.
The following steps are to be used if you are using the online version of PowerPoint:
- Open up PowerPoint in your browser and a ensure that your presentation is open and ready
- Go onto YouTube and locate the video that you wish to add to your PowerPoint presentation.
- Click on the video. Once you are inside, you will see a button called share. Click on it!
- Once clicked, it will provide you with three options namely share this video, embed, and email. For this, we want to click on share this video.
- Once clicked, it will provide you with a link inside of a textbox. Highlight the entire link and copy it to your clipboard. Ensure that the entire link is copied and no characters are left out.
- When compared to the above-mentioned steps this one differs in the sense that no rectangular box with the video will appear. Instead, we will be embedding the hyperlink to the video into a text or picture. This is completely up to you and can be decided by you. The process is the same for text hyperlinking or picture hyperlinking.
- Once again, click on the “INSERT” tab in the header. Under the insert tab, you will see a hyperlink button. We want to click on this.
- Once clicked, a textbox will appear prompting you to enter display text and address. For display text, we can simply put video or anything you would like. In the address box, paste the URL from our YouTube video. Once both have been entered, click the insert button and you are done.
Once the text or picture, that contains the hyperlink, is click the video will then open in a new window and begin playing.
And that is literally all it takes to embed a YouTube video into your PowerPoint. It requires minimal effort and gives a lot to your presentation and slides. Videos can most definitely say more than pictures and text thus making the YouTube video embedded into your presentation that much more valuable.
Of course, there are other ways of embedding a YouTube video into your PowerPoint presentation such as enabling developer options and the like but in my unpopular opinion; they are more complex and trivial than the above-mentioned steps. The steps I have mentioned are the easiest and quickest way of embedding a YouTube video into your PowerPoint presentation.
I sincerely hope this tutorial has helped you embed a video into your PowerPoint presentation and also hope you have gained a new skill in this which will benefit you for a long time to come. Do not forgot to comments your queries below. Also sharing is caring.